Thursday, September 10, 2009

To my friends who have moved out of state....

So this is to my friends who have moved out of state or those of you who have good advice....I was wondering what to take with us and what to leave behind. We are thinking of only taking our beds, couch and clothes one box of toys and one box of books, kitchen supplies and that is basically it. What did you do and do you wish you would have done something different? And did you rent a U-haul? Did you drive one car and you husband the truck or did someone help?? I am looking for any advice on this matter.....

6 comments:

ALS said...

Have Help!!!! Moving with kids is hard and having loved ones help makes the job so much more enjoyable, plus if grandma and grandpa come they get to see your new place.

You won't need heavy winter clothes, just light jackets, it doesn't usually get too cold in Florida low 30's when it's really cold, unless you plan to go way north for winter fun.

Creature comforts are helpful, especially when you are going to be away from family and building a new life. Take everything that will help you and the kids be comfortable and feel at home while you are away.

We have rented a U-haul and it was a pretty good experience, I do know some who have rented from Penske and liked.

Best of luck with your move, Florida is beautiful and the beaches are divine. The Church is strong and you will meet some wonderful people, enjoy the adventure!

Merri Hackett said...

Wish I could help, but lets be honest i have barely left the state for a 3 day vacation :) ha ha good luck!!!

Tammy said...

I haven't moved out of state, but my siblings did. When they moved out of state they hired a moving company. I think it was called ABS?? What happens is they drop of a semi trailer at your house. you pay for however much space you think you will need. You pack it all into the truck and then THEY drive it there for you. Then you unload it when it gets there. No driving for your except your own car. That was great because then you aren't paying for the gas and time and stress of a gigantic truck. It is nice too because the truck was REALLY tall so you could fit a lot in a small amount of space. I can't remember exactly how it was charged, but it's much nicer for them because they all had kids and everything too.

Pam said...

When we moved to Texas we used Penske, but look into all of them, budget and u-haul too. They do different prices depending on when you book or how far you are going. We looked into a moving company but found out it is about twice as much, so we couldn't do that. I drove the car with the two boys and Don drove the truck. We did three days of 7 hours each that way the kids weren't in the car for too long. We would drive half in the morning stop for lunch and a rest then drive the rest in the evening. The boys also had fun taking turns in the big truck. But with this there are hotel costs if you can't stop and stay with friends or family along the way. I also had LOTS of things for them to do. Don's mom made this bag that had little gifts and every time we stopped I let them open one before we started driving again, motivation to get back in the car. Some gifts were bigger and some were just a box of raisins or something. They really liked it.
A friend of mine had her husband and father-in-law drive all their stuff out and set up and her and her son flew a few days later, sounds like an awesome idea if you can do that!
As for stuff, we moved so we brought it all, but I would think you should take some things that you like to do; maybe a project you are working on or something, just so you don't feel so trapped. Good luck and let me know if Tyler, TX is in your route so you can stay with us.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your moving experience will be a little different than ours since you're moving further away and not taking everything, but we used a moving company and I was sooo glad because the way they packed our furniture in the truck protected it much better than we could have. There was so much more to do than I expected and if we had to pack all of our stuff in a truck and make sure it wasn't going to get damaged en route, I would've been a lot more stressed. But another option we considered so we wouldn't have to drive a moving truck ourselves was to get a moving pod. If I were you, I'd at least get quotes from a moving company and pods because we planned on moving ourselves to save money, but then got a quote just to compare and found that we weren't saving enough money to make it worth the headache. So that's why we used a a moving company and it was sooooooo worth it!
I should also add though, the moving company we used (Mergenthaler) gave bonuses to their employees if we were completely satisfied after everything was done. So they had a good incentive to take care of us and our stuff, they also had to wear uniforms and couldn't smoke near our property. So I think all that helped it to be a better experience than what I expected from a moving company (because my parents had some really bad experiences). So hopefully that helps you in your decisions making! good luck!

Brinn said...

We held a huge garage sale and sold pretty much everything we had, minus a few necessities. Everything can be replaced. Then we packed the car to the brim and Harper and I set off out to tennessee. Blandon followed a month later with a rented car also packed to the brim. Not the best way of doing it, but it worked for us and our situation at the time. I think you would be smart in only bringing necessities in a small u-haul. They are just things, and most everything can be replaced :) Good Luck!